Laptop configuration : Linux, VM... etc

John J. Macey jjmacey at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:57:17 MST 2014

Keith,

I've recently put, Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04) 32-bit, on 10 year old
Dell Inspiron, that had a 60Gb HDD, Pentium-m CPU, and 2Gb RAM.

I used PlayOnLinux to install M$ Word / Excel / Powerpoint 2007, and
Oracle's VirtualBox to add M$ 7 Ultimate. M$ 7 doesn't run super speedy,
but you could use IE from that side of your machine.

The machine is used more for a media center running Clementine
(streaming music), and XBMC Media Center (Radio / TV channels / Movies /
TV series).

Your machine should do well.

Here's a tip when working with VB. When you close M$ 7, or whatever,
just click the window to close, and not the usual M$ shutdown procedure.
Just check the window that opens up, and suspend the machine, not shut
it down. I was so stunned how fast that I could launch M$ 7 Ultimate
that I posted a YouTube Video using Kazaam (Desktop Capture) - Microsoft
Windows 7 Ultimate - Booted In Less Than 3 Seconds
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8m4JXln_FY&feature=em-upload_owner>.

John