Looking for Advice on a New Server

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:06:09 MST 2014

An Optiplex is not a server. it does not have any of the Build quality i
would want in a server. You can get away with a non server case but you
want the server Powersupply and motherboard. Here a  few quick links to
Newegg, I personally have had wonderful success with Linux on SuperMicro
hardware. And teir server barebones are wicked easy to build in.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006684%2040000008&IsNodeId=1&Description=supermicro&name=Server%20Barebones&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

some of the towers are pricy however this one is nice and reasonable and
gives you room to work with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101794

There are other options i am sure but this was a quick look off the top of
my head.

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 9:44 AM, Mark Phillips
<mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> I need a new machine to host a couple of low traffic web sites, act as a
> back up server for my home network, and provide a place to experiment with
> new stuff (ie have some fun). I am replacing two Dell Optiplex
> GX260s....486 and 2 GB of RAM each! Woo hoo!!
>
> I am looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020 -
>
>    - Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4770 Processor (8MB Cache,
>    3.40GHz)
>    - Windows 8 Pro
>    - 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
>    - 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
>    - 16X DVD +/- RW Drive
>    - Intel Integrated Graphics
>    - Dell Outlet Optiplex 9020 Mini Tower
>
> for about $700. It only has two internal drive bays, so that is not great.
> However, a PCI Express 4 port SATA board and some tie wraps will fix that
> problem.. Obviously, the Windows 8 would go away in exchange for debian
> testing.
>
> Any better ideas or suggestions? $700 is about the top of my budget.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Stephen