Looking for Advice on a New Server

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Apr 14 09:44:56 MST 2014

I need a new machine to host a couple of low traffic web sites, act as a
back up server for my home network, and provide a place to experiment with
new stuff (ie have some fun). I am replacing two Dell Optiplex
GX260s....486 and 2 GB of RAM each! Woo hoo!!

I am looking at a refurbished Dell Optiplex 9020 -

   - Processor: Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4770 Processor (8MB Cache,
   3.40GHz)
   - Windows 8 Pro
   - 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
   - 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
   - 16X DVD +/- RW Drive
   - Intel Integrated Graphics
   - Dell Outlet Optiplex 9020 Mini Tower

for about $700. It only has two internal drive bays, so that is not great.
However, a PCI Express 4 port SATA board and some tie wraps will fix that
problem.. Obviously, the Windows 8 would go away in exchange for debian
testing.

Any better ideas or suggestions? $700 is about the top of my budget.

Thanks!

Mark