Off Topic Server recommendations

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Fri Apr 11 06:28:31 MST 2014

I manage an HP server for a small company and it has an ILO (Dell calls
it a DRAC).  If you never want to set foot in the company (AKA, work in
your pajamas), setting up the ILO is awesome.  Even if the box is going
through reboot, or you're stuck in maintenance mode (the infamous "Press
^D to continue startup" message) and SSHD isn't even running, the ILO
gives you the console over TCP/IP and you can do everything from ILO.  I
think you can even power off/on the server from ILO.

I'm pretty sure I'll never buy another server for a customer without it.

Regards,

George Toft