looking for a junior developer role somewhere in Phoenix...

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Apr 8 21:39:29 MST 2014

Am 08. Apr, 2014 schwätzte David Schwartz so:

moin moin David,

off the top of my head and in no particular order...

Are you willing to travel 100% to do consulting for a good company?

I see you worked at ticketmaster, ticketmaster seems to always be hiring.

There is lots of call for embedded C for Linux. GD used to be looking for
people. Lots of smaller companies as well. Intel, nvidia and broadcom all
have driver developers here in town, I believe.

Go to Gangplank to find startups looking for talent.

Mozilla is hiring devops. I believe remote work is OK.

Canonical/Ubuntu has a bunch of remote work openings, probably C involved
there somewhere :) Check AZLoCo weekly meeting minutes for link.

I believe uhaul and choice hotels still have dev shops here in town.

ciao,

der.hans

> Hey, gang
>
> I’m looking for someone who's willing to save a ton of money by hiring a seasoned senior developer with a degree in math/CS at junior rates for 6 months while I learn something new.
>
> I need some temporary work NOW — or even something that will lead to a perm position.  I can do 1099, C2C, or W2 with full bene’s.
>
> I’ve got $100 in my bank account and am behind on all of my bills.  I’ve been out of work since late July and unemployment ran out at the end of March. I’m breathing fumes.
>
> The problem is I’ve gotten pigeonholed and can’t even get interviews. I’ve got TONS of GREAT experience, just not the “right combination" of tools and recent experience that anybody is looking for.
>
> (This is the downside of spending too many years doing one thing and working for employers who value that but won’t let you work on anything other than that. I’ve done stuff “on the side” but none of it seems to count because it’s not “on the job” experience.)
>

> EXPERIENCE
>
> I’ve managed Linux servers; written lots of php code that spits out HTML (mostly 4.0); patched Wordpress plugins and themes; written protocol drivers and stacks; configured systems and networks, and fixed networking problems that nobody else could figure out; set up lots of web servers and websites from scratch; have experience on cPanel, Plesk, and other control panels; lots of MySQL and other SQL DB experience.
>
> I spent many years doing embedded systems development and machine control stuff. I love it! I’ve got real-time in my blood. (This is particularly beneficial when it comes to designing databases because I naturally tend to cluster data based on temporal coherence, which most database designers ignore. This alone can have a significantly beneficial impact on database performance.)
>
> I’ve written tons of scripts in c-shell, k-shell, and Bourne shell, using most of the common *nix tools like awk, sed, grep, diff, regex, etc.  My perl skills aren’t too good, and I’ve got no ruby or python experience. My javascript is so-so, although I see it as mostly just an interpreted variant of ‘c' (with which I’m fluent); just a little experience with js libraries.
>
> My web skills can be described simply as this: I do back-end stuff — php and SQL, filtering, parsing, the usual data shuffling; not anything that relates to eye-candy. (I’m NOT a graphic artist, don’t know ANY Adobe tools, and have absolutely NO aspirations to go in that direction. There are PLENTY of GREAT graphic designers out there; the world doesn’t need one more. Partner me with someone like that and we’ll kick butt!)
>
> STRENGTHS

> [...]

#  Data restorals via Freedom of Information Act requests.