Why is odt word count less than text?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 09:07:13 MST 2013

Not the same results I get so I would have to ask how you are doing it with
examples and tell us if you are measuring all with the same tool.  For
example,  Here are the wc counts for a text file I created, imported into
Libre Office, then saved as an odt and as a doc file and finally re-saved
as a txt file (the one with the 2 appended.

larry at hammerhead:~/Documents/Misc$ wc Ed*
    8   306 19456 Edmund Prescott Thiel.doc
   80   324 17242 Edmund Prescott Thiel.odt
   24   168   974 Edmund Prescott Thiel.txt
   24   168   961 Edmund Prescott Thiel2.txt
  136   966 38633 total

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 1:22 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Why is it that when I import a text file into libre office and then
> export the same text as an .odt document, the resulting document has a
> smaller word count and smaller character count than the original text
> file has?
>
> Then if I save the same .odt document as a .txt file, the resulting .txt
> file is bigger than the .odt file (actually almost the same size as the
> original text file).

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.