Replace image attachments with resized versions

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Sep 6 12:34:48 MST 2013

On 2013-09-06 12:06, Dazed_75 wrote:
> Maybe the solution is there so the images are smaller to begin with.
> For example, if they are from a digital camera, ask to see it and
> change the storage resolution.  Or maybe in the way they move the
> images to the computer they could use a script that does the resize
> as part of moving the image to computer storage.  Then the guy
> doing the emails has no change to how he works.  Or how about
> setting up a cron job that resizes the photos before he uses them?

This may be possible.  There are some details missing, though.  How
does this message get to Brian in the first place?  Does it show up over
SMTP?  If so, the solution will probably involve something like having
the MTA look for a particular sender, then pass that message off to an
external filter script.  The filter script would then have to split the
message up into body and attachments, then base64 decode those
attachments into a temp directory, then do a convert command like the
one Joe posted earlier on all of those attachments, then stitch the
message back together, then pass it back to the MTA, then clean up.

I don't know of anything pre-built that'll do all that off the top of
my head.  There's always the wonderful "import email" part of python, if
python is an option, and there are also mail-parsing Perl modules.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity