Replace image attachments with resized versions

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 12:06:54 MST 2013

Brian,
How do they generate the images?  Maybe the solution is there so the images
are smaller to begin with.  For example, if they are from a digital
cam=era, ask to see it and change the storage resolution.  Or maybe in the
way they move the images to the computer they could use a script that does
the resize as part of moving the image to computer storage.  Then the guy
doing the emails has no change to how he works.  Or how about setting up a
cron job that resizes the photos before he uses them?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> Bob's suggestion sounds like a good part of the solution.
>
> I use the code below (most of which I learned from
> PLUG friends) to bulk resize images before uploading
> them and that makes images load faster.
>
> # mkall1000 - resize all photos to 1000 pixel width
>
> mkdir 1000
> find -type f -maxdepth 1 -print0 | xargs -r -0 -ixxx convert -resize 1000
> -quality 80% xxx ./1000/xxx
>
> BTW: I have never understood why people keep and use 5-meg images (or
> even 1-meg images) when 200-K images look the same on 99% of monitors.
>

> === Bob Elzer wrote: ===
> > What about having them send it as HTML with image links and storing the
> > images on a server, then they could track how many people are actually
> > reading them, and that would cut down on the size.
>
> === On Sep 6, 2013 9:13 AM, "Brian Cluff" wrote: ===
> >> I've got a customer that sends out newsletters with images ...
> >> So, to keep them from sending out thousands of 5+ meg emails a
> >> couple of times a month, I would like to put a filter in ...
> >>
> >> Does anyone know of something out there that can do what I need?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.