video cables: 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 06:42:35 MST 2013

VGA is not as capable of driving certain display resolution/refresh rates
so it is being rolled out as an outdated technology. I personally am liking
the move forward to Digital connections, HDMI is a favorite because it will
transport audio as well and a tone less annoying than VGA and DVI to use.

However if you have DVI there are simple adapters that will turn your DVI
port into VGA and they are rather cheap. so if you don't feel like updating
your monitor yet (especially on a server) you can get something with a DVI
port on it, and then reconnect to a VGA connection.

The adapter is pretty dang cheap, and i have several leftover from graphcis
card purchases in case you do not want to wait:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi%20to%20vga%20converter&sprefix=DVI+to+VGA%2Caps%2C256

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> moin moin,
>
> I setup a system and don't have to muck with it much for years at a time,
> so I lose track of proper setup. I'm fine with this tradeoff as I'm glad
> to concentrate on other things :).
>
> Anyway, ordering a new system and it looks like integrated video means I
> choose two of the following three to drive my monitors: VGA/HDMI/DVI.
>
> Am I much better off spending $xx on a video card that can drive both off
> the same type of port? If so, what port type should I prefer? I presume
> VGA is not the current favorite :).
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/**Classes/<http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/>
> #  "The purpose of IT is to seamlessly and transparently provide the other
> #  9/10's of the iceberg for people who need to work with chunks
> #  of floating ice." -- Strata Rose Chalup

Stephen