FILE RECOVERY SOFTWARE?(more info)

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 19:50:06 MST 2013

Mike,

Some questions:
Have you used SMART on your PC as a first diagnostic tool?
Is the disk an add on to the PC?
How new is the drive?
What brand?
Was it or did it come pre-partitioned, and if yes was the partition used as
is or re-partitioned?
Is the partitioning scheme MBR or GPT?
Are you planning on continuing to use the HDD in the M$ PC.?

I have had success with many of the latest Linux live CD's reading HDD's
that were questionable or unreadable to M$ systems.  You could download
Ubuntu's latest Live CD or create a bootable USB of the image plug it into
the M$ PC boot Linux.  Most newest Linux distro's Live CD's will attempt to
automount all discovered HDD's and read their partitions.

Or pull the drive and plug it into one of the Linux Boxes.  If the Linux OS
is new enough and has a full Desktop Environment/GUI like Gnome, or KDE
etc.  Most likely the disk management system will try to automount the
drive and read any existing partitions.  If it comes up immediately copy
off / backup any files on the disk to the other native disks on the Linux
box.

Good Luck.

James

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>
> This has been quite successful for me in the past.
> On Oct 10, 2013 5:46 PM, "mike Enriquez" <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>  I have a raw hard drive.  It is a windows machine but I also have some
>> Linux Computers. It appears that if you pull the electrical plug from your
>> computer, it could cause your hard drive to lose hard drive partition
>> information.
>> I am not sure if the same can happen to a Linux computer, so I want to
>> find what is available just in case my files disappear on my Linux
>> machines.
>> My research has found that some software claims to be able to solve lost
>> file problems on both windows and Linux computers.
>>
>> I have no idea how good these application are?
>>
>> Recovering deleted files is also of interest to me.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike Enriquez
>>

>> On 10/10/2013 3:56 PM, Dazed_75 wrote:
>>
>> Mike, we need some information to understand the question.  Is this a
>> totally wiped drive, one with some problems, or just deleted files that you
>> are asking about.  Tell us you motivation so people can give valid and
>> appropriate answers (other than restore from your backups).
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM, mike Enriquez <mylinux at cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know of software used to recover files in Linux and Winlow
>>> systems.
>>> I am looking for software that will work on both operating systems.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>> Mike Enriquez
>>>

>> --
>> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>>
>> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
>> multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
>> from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.

James

*Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/>*