Michael Butash mike at butash.net
Thu Nov 28 12:42:40 MST 2013

As a generic server, they're probably just dandy.  I did that with an old
toshiba laptop, that I used no sound, suspend, graphics, or most any other
bits of the hardware aside from cpu, memory, vesa graphics, bridges and
disk.  I think that was even with fbsd.  Suspend, sound, having to work
around deadlocks on init with grub/lilo for various acpi/bridge functions
otherwise plagued it.

Anything related to acpi/bios function, sound, and graphics have just
historically been problematic, but aside from new device support, has
gotten generally better or at least more sane vs. perpetual moving target
kernel dev's have to hack exceptions around.

I had a friend with a cheap consumer-grade hp for her son, and the power
supply connector broke off within 6 months of use.  After some whining, I
offered to fix it, buying a 3 dollar part off ebay and disassembling the
laptop, motherboard, and soldering a new power connector on it.  The guts
were all pretty janky and flimsy, which didn't help my opinion of them either.

I'd thought buying an "enterprise-grade" elitebook in 2011, which amounted
to new about $4300 retail worth of laptop at the time (ebay used a fraction
of that ftw), and it was about the buggiest laptop I'd ever used.  I needed
it as at the time 8gb sodimm's were like 4k a piece, and the elitebook was
the only 15" with 4 sodimm slots to get it to 16gb of ram (I needed to
launch about 45 virtual cisco ios routers in dynamips for a network sim for
a client using a good 13gb of ram, and a laptop for daily use).  Then I was
just pissed when hp support's official response was "linux users aren't
enough for us to bother with fixing bios bugs for when windoze works fine".

I won't even consider them for servers now when given an option.

-mb