Network Sniffers

Mike Bushroe mbushroe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 13:00:58 MST 2013

Wireshark, definitely. We use it extensively in our lab for testing
firmware changes and problem reports on the International Space Station
LAN. work great for catching individual packets and analyzing them layer by
layer, protocol by protocol, tracing back and forth traffic of protocol
handshaking, and just plain overall bandwidth. However, it will only record
the traffic on the wire(s) it is connected to. To see other parts of the
system, you either need to run multiple copies of Wireshark, or find
something else that puts an agent on other machines to watch traffic in
other parts of the net.

 Our main switch is just a small embedded PPC, and does not have the RAM or
Flash to run Wireshark, and probably not the speed also. But some
switch/routers might be able to and then you could see traffic on any of
the lines connected to it.

Mike

--
"Creativity is intelligence having fun." — Albert Einstein