map keys

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Nov 12 09:14:18 MST 2013

On 2013-11-11 22:13, Derek Trotter wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to map the windows keys so they do
> something useful.

In most keymaps, they're mapped to one of the modifiers, usually Super
or Hyper.  These modifiers usually don't do much that's useful.  compiz
and its successors often used Super+other key or mouse button as a "do
interesting 3D window management things" shortcut.

> I've tried Xmodmap and the keys, in some programs
> such as Dolphin, Kate,Konsole and Kwrite will cause the desired
> character to appear, but in others such as Firefox and Thunderbird I
> can press the same keys and nothing appears.

GTK+ deals with these things in a different way from Qt.  This is...
annoying.  When you used xmodmap, did you clear the 'Doze key from the
modifier map before binding it to another key?

xmodmap is also only good for binding single keys to other single keys
(or to modifiers).  What's "xmodmap -pm" show you?  With it and xev, I
can see that the Windows keys are bound to Super_L and Super_R, and they
execute the modifier mod4.

xbindkeys is a little more flexible than xmodmap, and can bind a key or
key combination to an arbitrary shell command.

> Is there another way to make those windows keys do something?

KDE and GNOME should have a "keyboard shortcut" utility somewhere in
their nest of config items.  It is not as flexible as xbindkeys, but it
is probably friendlier.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity