video cables: 2 out of 3 ain't bad

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Nov 6 22:41:19 MST 2013

Am 05. Nov, 2013 schwätzte Stephen so:

moin moin,

turns out xorg.conf can still be used. Created a file with a screens
section and a virtual entry and both displays work.

> That should be able to run dual digital displays. But it may require the
> mad driver to do it. It should be a shared ramdac and gpu. So unless the
> did something weird on port it should work with the right driver in play.

mad driver? Is that the UPS guy from the show? :)

It would be awesome if I could get both working via digital. I didn't
retry that after getting virtual setup.

Previous tries didn't work because bios and boot up wouldn't display if
both were plugged in, so I was already having problems before X. I need to
be able to see boot up because I currently intentionally require an
interactive boot process. While the interacive could involve unplugging
and replugging a cable, I'd rather not.

I'll try a few things, though.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Monday, November 4, 2013, der.hans wrote:
>
>> Am 04. Nov, 2013 schwätzte Mike Bushroe so:
>>
>> moin moin,
>>
>>   because there is so much difference in how they implement VGA (limited
>>> resolution, analog out, sync pulses, etc) and digital they many "dual
>>> head"
>>> display drivers have one of each to make sure that what ever type of
>>> display you have, they can drive at least one. So I fear that you quest
>>> for
>>> 2 digital displays is likely to fail, or require new hardware, not just
>>> new
>>> software.
>>>

>> Ah, so one chip for digital that can feed one display and another chip for
>> analog. Kinda what I was figuring.
>>
>>  What are you using for video? X? You might need Xinerama to get full use
>>> of
>>> both screens.
>>>

>> I would prefer to use xrandr. Besides, Xinerama is so 2000's :).
>>
>> In either case, I still think it needs to be able to drive that much
>> display. Not sure why the proprietary driver can and the Free Software
>> driver can't.
>>
>> 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
>> RS780L [Radeon HD 3000] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>>         Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7501
>>         Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
>>         Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
>>         I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
>>         Memory at fe8f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
>>         Memory at fe700000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
>>         Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
>>         Capabilities: <access denied>
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>>  Mike
>>>

>>>  moin moin,

>>> "Creativity is intelligence having fun." — Albert Einstein
>>>

>> --
>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/
>> #  "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
>> #   -- Albert Einstein

#  Data restorals via Freedom of Information Act requests.