video cables: 2 out of 3 ain't bad

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Nov 4 23:05:37 MST 2013

Am 04. Nov, 2013 schwätzte Mike Bushroe so:

moin moin,

>  because there is so much difference in how they implement VGA (limited
> resolution, analog out, sync pulses, etc) and digital they many "dual head"
> display drivers have one of each to make sure that what ever type of
> display you have, they can drive at least one. So I fear that you quest for
> 2 digital displays is likely to fail, or require new hardware, not just new
> software.

Ah, so one chip for digital that can feed one display and another chip for
analog. Kinda what I was figuring.

> What are you using for video? X? You might need Xinerama to get full use of
> both screens.

I would prefer to use xrandr. Besides, Xinerama is so 2000's :).

In either case, I still think it needs to be able to drive that much
display. Not sure why the proprietary driver can and the Free Software
driver can't.

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
RS780L [Radeon HD 3000] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
         Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device 7501
         Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
         I/O ports at c000 [size=256]
         Memory at fe8f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
         Memory at fe700000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
         Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
         Capabilities: <access denied>

ciao,

der.hans

> Mike
>

>> moin moin,
>>
>> It looks like I can get 2 out of 3 as long as the two aren't HDMI and DVI
>> :(. With cables plugged into both ports I can't even see post. Remove one
>> and suddenly lights are on.
>>
>> Using either HDMI or DVI with VGA works, though.
>>
>> Now I just need to figure out why wheezy demands on cloning the output.
>>
>> I'm hoping to find a solution that doesn't require installing the
>> proprietary driver :).
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>> --
> "Creativity is intelligence having fun." — Albert Einstein

#  "It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."
#   -- Albert Einstein