video cables: 2 out of 3 ain't bad

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Nov 3 23:58:28 MST 2013

Am 25. Oct, 2013 schwätzte Brian Cluff so:

moin moin,

It looks like I can get 2 out of 3 as long as the two aren't HDMI and DVI
:(. With cables plugged into both ports I can't even see post. Remove one
and suddenly lights are on.

Using either HDMI or DVI with VGA works, though.

Now I just need to figure out why wheezy demands on cloning the output.

I'm hoping to find a solution that doesn't require installing the
proprietary driver :).

ciao,

der.hans

> HDMI is a subset of DVI that also includes audio so the adapters to go
> between them are super cheap (Like $2 or $3 each unless you want audio then
> they are closer to $12+).  So it doesn't really matter which one of those you
> pick.
> VGA is on it's way out, so I wouldn't go that route unless you have to.  As
> the previous message said, you can usually get VGA out of a DVI connector
> with an inexpensive adapter and most monitors will also allow you to adapt
> them for VGA.  You just have to check to see which DVI standard they conform
> to.  If it's DVI-I, then you are good to go.  If it's DVI-D, then it only
> carries a digital signal and no amount of adapters will get a VGA signal in
> or out of it.
>
> One way to visually tell if you've got DVI with an analog signal is to look
> at the DVI connector and see if it's got the 4 pins with a big flat one
> between them like this:
>
> O O
> ---
> O O
>
> If the four pins are missing, it's definitely a DVI-D connector.  It's not
> fool proof though; I have seen connectors that have the analog pins, but only
> supports digital signals.  I've also found some HDMI to DVI adapters that had
> the analog pins on them, even though they are unused, and in my case they got
> in the way because the connector I was plugging them into didn't have the
> "guzintas" for the pins.  In that case you can safely pull the pins out of
> the adapter with a pair of needle nose pliers.  They come out easily since
> they aren't soldered to anything.
>
> Brian Cluff
>
> On 10/24/2013 11:58 PM, der.hans wrote:
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I setup a system and don't have to muck with it much for years at a time,
>> so I lose track of proper setup. I'm fine with this tradeoff as I'm glad
>> to concentrate on other things :).
>>
>> Anyway, ordering a new system and it looks like integrated video means I
>> choose two of the following three to drive my monitors: VGA/HDMI/DVI.
>>
>> Am I much better off spending $xx on a video card that can drive both off
>> the same type of port? If so, what port type should I prefer? I presume
>> VGA is not the current favorite :).
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans

#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,
#  keine Ahnung und keinen (.)plan. -- die Toten Hosen