How to promote Plug's value - was: Are Social Networks ...

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue May 7 00:57:11 MST 2013

Am 03. May, 2013 schwätzte Josh Coffman so:

> Engaging on social media might be helpful, but I wanted to share that other
> tech groups in the valley have started talking about reasons attendance and
> engagement seems to have dropped of across the board in the last year or
> so. Several of us just had an informal meetup to socialize and discuss the
> issue. Maybe it's the economic or political environment, but sounds like

Glad to hear there's some work going on to address involvement.

> this has affected all user groups regardless of technology. The affect has
> been felt in person, on discussion groups, and even social media. At least
> that's what I'm hearing and seeing.

Everyone's busy digging bunkers after seeing the TV show about the world
after electricity is gone :).

There's a huge amount of geek pride going on the last few years. We also
have things like Phineas and Ferb (maker), The Big Bang Theory (science)
and Comicon (all things geek that can be drawn) all being very popular.

In the case of PLUG, we also have Free Software and Linux in particular,
really taking over some consumer markets.

We need to figure out how to take advantage of this.

Maybe multiple groups should get together and get a booth at Comicon. 10s
of thousands of people in our most on target market showing up for the
weekend is a heck of an opportunity.

We also need to cooperate for promotion. PLUG does a pretty good job of
that with direct cooperation with AZLoCo and we also help promote events
from ASULUG, OWASP and other Free Software groups in Arizona.

Are any of the groups that were involved also Free Software? If so, we'd
be glad to help cross-promote.

ciao,

der.hans
#  So much shiny, so little time. -- der.hans