OT: How to embed or call a shell script in an html file?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jun 25 14:23:32 MST 2013

From: joe
> Matt last wrote:
>> If "safe mode" is enabled, you can't use ``. I asked for the output
>> of phpinfo() earlier; that'd be a great place to start.
> Sorry, I can't find that request in my notes, and I don't
> know how to do that or how to get that phpinfo().

Hm.  I sent that message directly to you, not to the list.  Did it get eaten
by spam filtering?  But you can always get a pile of useful junk by making a
small PHP page containing just

<?php
phpinfo();

...and going to that page in any browser.

>> Are any error logs available?
> I have not been able to find any error logs, but I will send
> a note to support at bluehost.com to ask where to find that.

I don't know if this'll help a lot.  Shared hosting companies may not have
their apaches set up to log any errors at all, which is always a pain.

> php -l search.php
> No syntax errors detected in search.php

How annoying.  This is why I thought it had something to do with safe mode,
since it shouldn't have given you a 500 error or an SSI error.

> Per your suggestion, I am preparing a detailed description of
> exactly what I want to accomplish and I will post a link to that
> as soon as I finish it.

Great!  That way, people will be able to look at it, offer suggestions, give
you quotes on how much it'd be to build (whatever), or educate you enough so
you could build (whatever) yourself.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows