Off Topic Discussions

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Jun 12 05:58:47 MST 2013

I would say that it is a list of Linux and related topics.

Things like programming in PHP, that'd be OT, but still fine on the
list.  Even stuff that is political in nature, but related, like
security and privacy, is relevant but OT.

Where I think it goes from OT to Off-List is when blame is being placed
on a particular organization/person or a specific remedy is recommended.
For instance: "We can't have e-mail privacy because Nixon is a weenie"
or "If Carter could speak Cuban better we could have more H1B visas."
Examples of specific actions would be: "You should join my political
party so we can fight for..."

To be clear, this means that in previous situations 80% of the mail was
fine and relevant.  But people stayed out of the conversation because
they didn't want to be associated with that other 20%.  Let's cut that
20% up front and have conversations that everyone can participate in,
which is probably more likely to educate on the issues too!

Thanks,
Ted