OT: NSA story keeps getting bigger...

Patrick Callahan patrick.pxc.c at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 20:06:45 MST 2013

I was in the 3rd grade when the Twin Towers fell. We've been at war for
what feels like my entire life. We've been chasing after 'terrorism' as
long as I can remember. I've never gotten onto an airplane without having
to deal with the TSA. I was born into the age of the PATRIOT Act. There
used to be a time when they couldn't just take you to Gitmo? What is
America like? I sometimes feel like I've never been.

I know the freedom and justice have always been matters of struggle, and
here in the US not much of either were afforded to many minorities for a
long time. In some important ways, especially in terms of equality, things
are better than they've ever been. Still, this kind of news makes me feel
so powerless and indifferent, and it's all I've been hearing my whole life.
I'm so sick of it. I loathe the 'post-9/11 world' that has been my
environment since childhood.