32bit vs 64bit Linux

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Jun 1 07:29:44 MST 2013

Hey Paul,

I'm not a fan of OpenVZ either. Just thought I'd mention it since it's
an option with PVE.  While it's not much more than chroot on steroids
(afaict), (openvz) containers do run with less overhead than KVMs. This
difference is diminishing though as KVM code matures (iow, in later
kernel versions).

I'll have to rethink my using 32-bit KVMs. This might be penny wise and
pound foolish. I've been working in SMB environments with 8G max hosts
though. With larger platform hosts (32G+) it probably makes sense to
make all KVMs 64-bit. Still, I don't see an authoritative DNS server
ever needing >3G of ram.  As server roles and tasks are divided, each
KVM tends to be smaller. I may be overly concerned about ram, but I'd
like to know more precisely than I do about how much is wasted by going
to 64-bit. I should do some side-by-side comparisons. It scares me a
little though, like having a ton of small (symlink sized) files on a
drive with 4k sectors. Probably my conservative nature.

Thanks Paul!

--
-Eric 'shubes'