Switched off Ubuntu

Paul Mooring paul at opscode.com
Wed Jul 31 10:34:51 MST 2013

Not sure what I started here, but to clarify I didn't mean my comment as a knock against Ubuntu, it's a distro that works hard to achieve goals that aren't of interest to me.  If other people like it that's great, but I'm not particularly interested in getting more people to use any particular distro or Linux in general.  I just happen to be the sort of user that spends 90% of my time in my shell and a distro that fits that paradigm will be at odds with a motto like "Linux for human beings".

As a side note, I do think it's justifiable to worry about the future of Linux if the well-funded distros focus on consumers.  Linux's server market share is massive, it's desktop market share not so much.  The more we rally around systems that facilitate desktops and get in the way on servers the less advantageous it is for the people paying for Linux development to keep doing so. Regardless of how you feel about Enterprise Linux without Red Hat (the company) success we would be years behind where we are right now.

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
www.opscode.com