Switched off Ubuntu

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Tue Jul 30 10:52:58 MST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Paul Mooring <paul at opscode.com> wrote:

> That being said, you're right just switching distros for the desktop
> environment wouldn't make a whole lot of since, but things like apt (and
> it's overly opinionated packages) and upstart are too integral to the OS to
> make using alternatives not a huge pain.

I remember when I first switched from Slackware (everything complied from
source) to Redhat... all of their changes infuriated me; especially changes
to the boot process which resulted in a machine that wouldn't boot when I
rebuilt the kernel the 'Slackware way'.  I eventually got used to Redhat's
way and have a love hate relationship with RPM/yum.  I used Debian for a
long time too and liked apt-get over yum for a long time.  Ubuntu's changes
are about as annoying to me as Redhat's were.  Apt-get/yum are about
equivalent and both can get you into dependency hell but they work for the
most part.

I haven't liked the changes in Fedora with Gnome lately either... switched
my desktop to cinnamon instead.  I want my start menu and virtual
desktops... I don't want a desktop that wants to be a tablet.

JD

-- JD Austin
Voice: 480.269.4335 (480 2MY Geek)
jd at twingeckos.com