Why is Firefox so busy?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 10:42:13 MST 2013

The newer versions of Firefox in the guise of "efficiency" don't refresh
the content (or maybe even load it) until you click on that tab.

As for killing Firefox and restoring what was lost, Just go to the general
tab of preferences and change the "When Firefox starts" entry to be "...
the Windows and tabs from last time".  Then don't kill Firefox, just close
it and restart it.

der Hans also showed us Thursday night how you can use different profiles
to (among other things) keep different tab sets open for each.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Jon Kettenhofen <subs at kexsof.com> wrote:

> One thing I have noticed is that when I restart, it seems that the sites
> don't load until I click on the page or the tab.
> Once viewed, some sites will get busy loading banners, flash, youtube
> videos, etc. which will obviously slow things
> down. See if that's that case.
>
> Since you killed FF, did not exit it cleanly, I would otherwise expect it
> to revive in pretty much the same state but it
> didn't.  Stuff that's real-time in memory won't be maintained unless
> written to hard drive so that may be a factor -
> you killed it when you rebooted.
>
> On the other hand!  I have had extreme issues with gnome-shell (yes the
> "new" one) gobbling up 100% to 120% or
> a bit more of my hyper-threaded old xeon even with 8GB of memory, so I
> have reverted to the Classic Gnome
> session which is far kinder, peaking at 50% but usually maxing out at 20
> percent and under 10 in normal use.
>
> Like you, I am wondering where all the processor bloat comes from. I have
> removed most of my add-ons and
> plug-ins to FF but with little or no effect.
>
> I'm running Mint (14) Nadia, using the Classic Gnome session applied at
> the login.  Doesn't make me immune from
> the Nasty Social Apparatus, but it beats having to reload another version
> of linux.  Cinnamon runs gnome shell.
>
> Jon Kettenhofen
>

> On 07/13/2013 08:43 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
>
>> OK, I'll confess, I am a WEB site hoarder...
>> I find sites, open DOZENS of them, leave them open to
>> read-them-later/use-them-for-**something/show-it-someone-**else/forgot-to-close-
>> it, you get the drift...
>> At any point of time I always have dozens of open pages, just sitting
>> there.
>> This morning, they were eating 50% of the power of EACH of my 4 cores...
>> Which bumped the processor temp to 53 degs C.
>> Doing nothing...
>> So I killed the flash plug-in (frequent culprit) to no avail...
>> So I bit the bullet and 'kill $(FFOX_PID)'
>> All cores happy...
>> I restarted Firefox and 'restored it' (which opened up everything I had
>> before) and the processor now barely feels the load.  And is at a comfy 37
>> deg C.
>> Which begs the question:
>> What in the World was it doing before?
>> ET

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.