Yarnell fire and new computer

Betty I webcanine at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 15:07:23 MST 2013

Hi all;
(I used to be the lady that was 'nice penguin @ webcanine dot com' but had
to change my email so now I have this one.)
We lost our house in Yarnell to the fire last weekend and are staying in
Phoenix. But you guys have always been good for information on computer
stuff in general, so i thought i'd ask here first.

We have good insurance, and it is going to cover replacement cost for our
computers up there. They were old, pentium III's that i had put ubuntu on
and were great desktops. but i am thinking that since we don't do a lot of
computer intense work up there, just surf online and read emails, that
maybe it would be better to just get laptops. Then i was thinking maybe of
getting a chromebook instead of a 'regular' laptop; but my son said that
those are all 'cloud ' based.

But does that mean that they have no functionality if we're not online?

What do you guys think?
I have time, since it's going to take about 4 months to get a new
manufactured home up there :(

also, OT, i did just finish an html class and made my final project a few
webpages with photos of the place and the fire stuff. of course, we haven't
been allowed back up there but we're hoping for early this week.

http://ipmarizona.com/eclass/before.html

well, thanks for any ideas.
betty i

--