command line question

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Tue Jan 29 15:27:00 MST 2013

From: joe at actionline.com
> I still can't get either to work.
> James: gwenview filename.jpg > /dev/null 2>&1 &
> Hans:  gwenview filename.jpg 2>/dev/null &
>
> Both examples work to cause gwenview to open filename.jpg without
> any error messages. However, when I close the terminal window,
> gwenview also closes.  What am I doing wrong?

To stop a process from dying when its parent tty dies, you probably want
nohup.  "nohup gwenview filename.jpg > /dev/null 2>&1 &" .  The xterm/konsole
will still be there, though you can then manually close it.

If this approach *did* automagically close the xterm, it'd be functionally
equivalent to just starting gwenview from the mini-commandline....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows