Starting Today, It's Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone

Walter Mack wmack at componentsw.com
Sat Jan 26 15:53:17 MST 2013

hhmm,
some random thoughts:

You CAN buy unlocked phones legally. The article mentions iphone 5 and
some google phone - so you have an alternative if you don't like a
locked phone. Maybe its more expensive, but you HAVE A CHOICE.

Why don't they simply "lease" you the phone, then it remains their
property and no one would question that unlocking a phone that is the
property of someone else (the provider) can be considered illegal?

Why don't the contracts simply stipulate that you AGREE to not unlock
the phone? Surely every good citizen will abide by the contracts he/she
signs - and if someone doesn't its breach of contract - what am I
missing here?

If it is really that high on your list of priorities, get some 100000
voters together for a lobbying campaign, and see the wonders that can
do. Citizens (you and me among roughly 300 Million others) have a right
to lobby congress, just as much as cell providers have.