Starting Today, It's Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 15:55:23 MST 2013

Earlier today I thought of a way to explain this to people who aren't
technically inclined. Some car company sells a car with a 300 hp engine.
The dealer for whatever reason decides to add a a device that limits the
engine to 100 hp. Removing that device thus enabling the full 300 hp
would be illegal.

The first thing that comes to mind is if you're going to Europe and want
to use your phone there, get it unlocked there. Also how is any
government drone going to prove when you had the phone unlocked? If the
people who unlock phones are still going to do it, they're not likely to
keep a record of their now criminal activity.

On the whole, I don't see it widely enforced. However I wouldn't be
surprised if the federales soon make a big bust for publicity.

The difference between a politician run over on the highway and a cat
run over on the highway is there will be skid marks where people tried
to miss the cat.

"Beware of strong drink. It will make you shoot at tax collectors and miss."
- Lazarus Long

--
"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore