konqueror file opening question

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Fri Jan 25 16:17:51 MST 2013

Thanks for your help and tips.

I am so fed up with packagers constantly changing things so that
things that used to work fine just quit working. I can no longer get
my work done because of having to constantly fiddle with things that
keep breaking.  I'm at a point where I would be willing to pay
almost anything to get my systems squared away and then lock them up
and never do another "update" for as long as I live.

> They recently replaced the KHTML engine within KDE with webkit,
> I'm guessing that may have something to do with it.

I vaguely remember something about a suggestion to use webkit
instead of KHTML quite while ago, but recently I stumbled into some
configuration page on my newest system where there was a drop-down
box with KHTML as the ONLY option.

> When you move from system to system, are you starting with a fresh
KDE
> config or are you copying your home directory from system to system?

I started all over fresh with nothing carried over on four separate
boxes, 3 kubuntu and one Linux Mint and all are royally screwed up
with the same kinds of problems.

I am thoroughly fed up.  Whatever happened to keep it simple?

Everything has been an ongoing mess since KDE 3.5 was abandoned.

I think Matt Graham is right. Too many code jockey's trying to force
their own screwball ideas of what is "cool" on everybody else. The
'net is full of complaints like "I hate the cashew" etc. Amen.

> The reason I ask, is that I think you might be dragging from old
> crusty and bad configs from system to system and that could explain
> a lot of the problems you have been seeing.

> It might be time to "mv ~/.kde ~/.kde.bak" and start with a fresh
config.