AMD Virtualization

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:27:17 MST 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox (look at the hardware
virtualization section)

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-xen-vmware-kvm-intel-vt-amd-v-support/

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/linux-tip-how-to-tell-if-your-processor-supports-vt/

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Administration_Guide/sect-Virtualization-Troubleshooting-Enabling_Intel_VT_and_AMD_V_virtualization_hardware_extensions_in_BIOS.html

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/how-to-find-out-if-your-cpu-supports.html

Hope that is SOME help though I guess you don't have that processor yet

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:

> **
>

> So many of you offered opinions and experiences with AMD processors in
> response to a comment I made that I am really intrigued now.
>

> This may be a separate thread discussion but I use VirtualBox as my
> virtualization software of choice. Good or bad I use it and want to
> continue using it.
>

> I appreciate that Intel has two extensions they list for their processors
> of VT-x and VT-d. I much prefer processors that support these extensions
> compared to others that do not.
>

> Considering my current primary server is running a Pentium M 1.6 anything
> today would be faster. I do not use any virtualization on this machine, but
> with the need to upgrade it I would like to offload some of my
> virtualization needs to this machine as well. I looked at various
> processors on the AMD site but I cannot find more than a generic line that
> says XX processors has AMD Virtualization... blah blah
>

> What extensions should I look for in a AMD processor for decent
> virtualization?
>

> Does AMD have any budget processors that have these extensions?
>

> Any recommendations?
>

> I appreciate your input...
>

> P.S. I would love to read a discussion about various virtualization
> softwares and your uses, but in a different thread. I prefer VBox because
> it is free (price) and has a better interface than libvirt or whatever
> Fedora prefers and occasionally I will load up a VBox image in Windows
> where it works and acts the same as my linux versions, once I change the
> network card.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.