AMD Virtualization

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Mon Jan 21 13:50:07 MST 2013

So many of you offered opinions and experiences with AMD processors in
response to a comment I made that I am really intrigued now.

This may be a separate thread discussion but I use VirtualBox as my
virtualization software of choice. Good or bad I use it and want to continue
using it.

I appreciate that Intel has two extensions they list for their processors of
VT-x and VT-d. I much prefer processors that support these extensions compared
to others that do not.

Considering my current primary server is running a Pentium M 1.6 anything
today would be faster. I do not use any virtualization on this machine, but
with the need to upgrade it I would like to offload some of my virtualization
needs to this machine as well. I looked at various processors on the AMD site
but I cannot find more than a generic line that says XX processors has AMD
Virtualization... blah blah

What extensions should I look for in a AMD processor for decent
virtualization?

Does AMD have any budget processors that have these extensions?

Any recommendations?

I appreciate your input...

P.S. I would love to read a discussion about various virtualization softwares
and your uses, but in a different thread. I prefer VBox because it is free
(price) and has a better interface than libvirt or whatever Fedora prefers and
occasionally I will load up a VBox image in Windows where it works and acts
the same as my linux versions, once I change the network card.