Kubuntu 12.10 installation and setup checklist (draft).

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 09:18:21 MST 2013

Compared to the installation of windows vs Ubuntu  the Ubuntu installation
is about the same in complexity. it asks a couple more questions
about keyboard setup and locale. but its the same amount of difficulty as
windows Vista, 7, or 8, and tons easier than XP and 2000.

The main thing to increase adoption of Linux is applications made easier.
and finding them, sorting through them and getting things done.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 2:36 AM, <joe at actionline.com> wrote:

> While Linux is clearly superior in so many ways, it is little wonder that
> Linux has not yet found wider acceptance among "ordinary" computer users
> when it is still such an ordeal to achieve a fully satisfactory
> installation that "just works" for all of the most essential stuff.
>
> Ideally, it surely should be possible to have a *ONE-CLICK* Linux Live CD
> installation that would result in a system as complete and ready-to-use as
> a new computer purchased off-the-shelf at any retail store with micro$haft
> pre-installed.
>
> Sadly, such an installation is not even remotely close to reality.
>
> I have tried many dozens of different Linux distros, and I have done
> hundreds of Linux installations over the past 15-years, and (call me
> stupid) but I the process is still both daunting and highly frustrating.
>
> For several years, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS had been the most stable and
> usable (imho) and I was completely happy with PCL with KDE 3.5 for quite a
> long time ... until finally being forced to "upgrade" to KDE 4 with its
> endless problems ... and then, a series of problems with PCLinux so-called
> "rolling-release" updates royally screwed up all of my systems.  So that
> drove me to give up on PCLinux and start all over again.
>
> Kubuntu seemed like the best alternative for my needs -- first with
> version 12.04 and over the past few days, I have been transitioning to
> 12.10 which seems much improved.
>
> However, even so, getting 12.10 installed and working right on my
> computers has continued to be far more frustrating than I think a Linux
> installation ought to be.
>
> So, I have been attempting to compile a checklist of every step and every
> click required to complete an installation and setup to the "ready-to-use"
> stage, and I would appreciate any feedback, corrections, and suggestions
> that y'all might be willing to share to improve this checklist.
>
> Eventually, with guidance from my good plug friends, I hope to "remaster"
> a live CD that might get as close as possible to a *ONE-CLICK*
> installation of kubuntu 12.10. Click this link to see the checklist first
> draft:
>
> http://www.upquick.com/temp/cklist.pdf

Stephen