Why is kwalletmanager sucking up 100% of cpu?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Jan 10 16:29:18 MST 2013

kwalletmanager is the program that manages the wallets.  Kwalletd is the
actual password service that runs in the back ground.

If you have the wallet turned off, you must have run kwalletmanager by
accident.

As for why it's eating your machine alive, I don't know.  It sounds like
your have been killing a lot of stuff lately, perhaps you killed
something it depends on so it's freaking out.

I myself use kwallet, it's a great way to have different, secure
passwords for every different service you deal with without having to
memorize them all.  If you saw der.hans' keepassx presentation, it's a
very similar program and I highly recommend you use it.  If you use it
correctly it will do a very good job of protecting your passwords.  If
you don't care about the protection and just want it to fill in
passwords that it previously knows about then just give it a blank
password and tell it that the web server can access the wallet when ever
it wants, and it will never bug you again.

If you don't want it at all, just go into System Settings -> Account
Details -> KDE Wallet and Uncheck "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem"

I'm guessing that it's a one time problem that won' pop up again, unless
you run the kwalletmanager again on accident.

Brian Cluff