How to use clonezilla to copy just one partition?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Jan 3 17:14:06 MST 2013

If you want to clone your machine in a particularly geeky way...

Try this:
Copy over your home directory to the new machine
Then install dselect on the new machine

Install debconf-utils on the old machine

On the old machine do:
dpkg --get-selections >dpkg-selections
debconf-get-selections >debconf-selections

Transfer the dpkg-selections debconf-selections to the new machine, as
well as /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

then run:
dselect update
debconf-set-selections <debconf-selections
dpkg --clear-selections
dpkg --set-selections <dpkg-selections
apt-get dselect-upgrade

The above commands will update dpkg's package database, since it it
different that apt's package database.  debconf-set-selections will load
the various configurations that you have for your packages from the old
machine. dpkg --clear-selections will set everything non-essential to be
purged from the system, clearing the way for a fresh list of packages.
dpkg --set-selections will set to install all the packages that you had
on your previous machine.  Finally apt-get dselect-upgrade will look
over the package database that you have not messed with and make the
system into the system that the database describes.

The end result is that you should have a system that closely resembles
your old machine, but without any extra garbage that machine has picked up.

The above files are also a good way to backup a custom install that you
want to be able to clone quickly.  You can save those files and hand
them off to people as a starting point for a good install... be aware
that the debconf selections may contain passwords, so you might need to
clean those out before handing them off to anyone.

Brian Cluff