Samba on CentOS

Lee Reynolds Lee.Reynolds at asu.edu
Tue Feb 19 12:11:19 MST 2013

The conf file isn't the only thing you need to copy.  You also need the file(s) that hold the samba passwords.  Where this file is and what it is called has changed in more recent versions of samba, so you'll have to do some looking.  Your smb.conf file should tell you something.  The smbusers file might also need to be copied.

Also, as others have mentioned, SELINUX is a hell of a drug.  Luckily it can be configured to let samba do its thing.  I did this myself recently and only two changes were required, but don't ask me to repeat them from memory.  There is a tool in KDE that runs in the system tray that tells you when selinux is fussing, and it also provides tips on how to make it be quiet.  This is how I got it working on my laptop.

Lee Reynolds
Systems Analyst Principal
ASU Advanced Computing Center
a2c2.asu.edu

GWC-558
480.965.9460 (Office)
480.458.7434 (Mobile)

Have an A2C2 related question or problem?

Just send an email to the following address detailing
the nature of the question or problem and a service request
will be created automatically:

support at hpchelp.asu.edu