My battle with Earthlink

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at smartstoragesys.com
Mon Feb 18 08:05:15 MST 2013

Well, I have what used to be speakeasy.

My modem died once, and they sent me a <mumble> brand as a replacement.  While I was waiting, I went to Goodwill and found a <mumble2> modem, which I bought and used until the replacement from Speakeasy showed up.

So I’ve used at least 2 different manufacturer’s DSL modems and they’ve worked fine, so if you can find a loaner to try you might be able to get something working that way (I might even be willing to let you try mine, but I need it back because I want to always have a spare ready to go).

I should comment that my DSL modems do NOT have a router built in - you need IPCop or a netgear firewall/router (which I also have laying around…) in between your DSL and your home network.  Perhaps it’s the firewall/router that is the weak point of these other modems.

Rusty