My battle with Earthlink

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Feb 17 21:38:55 MST 2013

Try running an mtr to a site when it occurs, see if you're losing your
first-hop gateway (transport or head-end issue), or if you're getting
any further upstream and breaking (something inline is halting your
connection).  DSL is typically atm handoff to the L3 provider like
earthlink, so your session is transported generally via a few
encapsulated protocols that can break along the way.

I'd venture to say it's your transport, first-mile that's broken here,
but I've not used or worked on dslams personally to know how ugly they
break, when they break.  This is known as a "type 2" relationship, that
CL will provide last-mile to earthlink via atm pvc, so anything goes as
you pass between vendors along the way.  Like most big enterprises, they
might not monitor per-user connections to see just what happens if/when
it breaks (ie. flatline in usage), so you might be up a creek with the
local agent.  This is dated info too, not sure vdsl variants are still
atm (I certainly hope not).

If they can see any kind of dslam status, they can probably see physical
errors, or not to know if your modem is at least impared from a
last-mile wiring perspective.  I don't know how this info manifests with
what they'll actually tell you being a telco, and 2nd hand remove at
that.  Cox has tools internally that look at modem levels historically
since 2003 or so, and if you can get a lazy tech to look at it,
sometimes they'll be like "oh, yeah it does suck - let me get you a tech
call".  YMMV with dsl, but anything related to a bell typically is
terrible at fcaps monitoring it it seems.  I avoid them like the plague.

-mb