Cable trick to double Internet speed

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Wed Feb 13 14:20:04 MST 2013

What a load of crap! The cable is not even connected, with shielding between
them, how does the secondary cable transfer any data?

With the old IDE ribbon cables they pulled a trick like this. They were 80 pin
cables but only 40 were used for data. The other 39 wires were called "earth"
wires, or grounding wires.

I could see if you could put BOTH cables into an RJ45 connector on both sides
it might help with throughput a bit, but not like this.

Also, your throughput is limited by your ISP. I have 15MB cable. Nothing I do
on my side is going to boost my speed because there is a switch somewhere in
the ether that knows my MAC address and limits it to 15MB.

I could get TWO cable accounts and have linux manage them both, but the ISP
does not support "shotgunning" accounts to double the bandwidth either.