format thumb drive

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:05:03 MST 2013

How is it done? I tried to merely delete everything off of the drive but
couldn't:

$: sudo rm -rf *
rm: cannot remove `install-upon-restore-Laptop.txt': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `install-upon-restore-PC.txt': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `Mark Work History.rtf': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `msgr11us.exe': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `Resume-Resume.odt': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `The New Kind.zip': Read-only file system
rm: cannot remove `Yearly Template.ods': Read-only file system

 I want to do this so I can create the usb drive for xbmc.

I found xbmcbuntu and it worked great from the disk but after I installed
it not so much. The the x server wouldn't work. It took me to a (text) log
in screen but it was flashing on an interval of about once a second. I did
login and typed 'startx' and that stopped the flashing but:

  Module Loader present
  Markers: (--) probed, (**) frrom config file, (==) default setting....
(etc)
  (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: <time>
  (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
  (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)  (EE) No
devices detected.

  Fatal server error:
  No screens found
  Giving up.
  <?>init: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X
server
  <?>init: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

<?>= what can't read or guess as to what is there
Looking at this it seems it has something to do with module 'type1' not
being present meaning it has to do with ubuntu?
May I hazard to guess that 'type1' is a variable that hasn't been assigned?