hard drive going out?

Ed plug at 0x1b.com
Tue Dec 31 17:21:58 MST 2013

When your system "crashes" like that, try to SSH into it from another
machine. It sounds like your window manager is crashing, not your
computer. If you can ssh into the machine, check the logs and set your
machine to restart without using PulseAudio, just to see if stops the
crashing. If your computer were crashing, the sound would stop with
the ram dump.

#palimpsest  will tell you how your disks are doing - a bunch of
failed SMART tests signal a failing drive - can't hurt to set up a
mirror.(I like rsync)