vlc media player

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Dec 25 02:32:04 MST 2013

Correct, i'll just give you a widget to watch your cpu and other
resources.  Never leave home without it imho, about the second thing I
install usually on a desktop.

Htop works at the cli as well, apt-get install htop, first thing I
usually install with vim.

Idea is to watch your cpu constraints.  Video decoding is usually a cpu
function if not tending to a gpu, so it sounds like something is
constrained.  I haven't seen this in a long time (thinking h.264 at 1080p
on a p4 with no vdpau), and have been pirating ripping movies since the
90's, playing them under linux since mid 2000's.  Any modern cpu should
handle this pretty ok.

If you have nvidia 9xxx+, install vdpau libs for hw decode, ati 4000+
use xvba libs.  Could be a weird interrupt/scheduler issue, but doubt it
unless hardware is ancient.

-mb