NoSQL Lab

Paul Mooring paul at getchef.com
Fri Dec 13 16:47:36 MST 2013

How viable RaspberryPis would be depends on what you're testing.  I
generally test configs in vagrant boxes on my workstation, for testing
configs that works fine no need for more physical hardware.  The
downside is I'm limited to a single physical hard drive.  I doubt
you'll get killer io out of a pi so if you really want to abuse a
clustered database it's probably not a great approach, more likely
your best best is a cheap cloud service for on demand usage (AWS and
competitors).

The other side of this is NoSQL is really more a buzzword than a
thing, different software has different requirements so what you need
to run mongodb vs what you need to run cassandra is different.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Trent Shipley <trent_shipley at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know that you can get lots of skills on NoSQL databases using a single
> Linux machine, but eventually you need to pick up skills on a horizontal
> cluster running the NoSQL database(s) of your choice. I am thinking of
> creating a personal lab. Would Raspberry Pi's be suitable. What are some
> other suitable mini-computers?
>
> I hate calling these little guys minicomputers. Minicomputers run things
> like AS400. They are the next step down from a mainframe. I think they
> should be called centimeter computers since they are on a centimeter scale.
> Millimeter computers would amount to a Raspberry Pi on a chip that was less
> than say, 90mm square.

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
Chef