MP490 printer

Harold iscreamkid at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 22:37:58 MST 2013

I purchased a Dell 8700, wiped the drive and installed CentOS 6.4 on it.

I have a Canon MP 4900 printer that I committed to hook up to the new
computer.

The 32 bit drivers do not work on the new 63 bit system.
I found a copy of the Canon source code on a Canon web site in Thailand,
of all places.

I would like to compile this into a driver so that I can use the printer.

The source code is divided into several folders with scripts in each of
them to do the work.
When I run make as a user it asks for my password and runs in the first
directory. In the second it aborts saying it can't find a Makefile.

$ make
for dir in libs cngpij pstocanonij backend backendnet cngpijmon/cnijnpr;
do (cd $dir; make $target)|| exit 1; done
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/Gogo/Documents/GloriaComputerDocs_etc/mp490CentOS/src/cnijfilter-source-3.20-1/libs'
make[1]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/Gogo/Documents/GloriaComputerDocs_etc/mp490CentOS/src/cnijfilter-source-3.20-1/libs'
make: *** [all] Error 1
$

There is a file called Makefile.am in that folder, but that does not
seem to be enough.

I feel like I am a bit over my head and would appreciate some advice on
how to proceed.

Harold