possible solution

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Aug 13 09:06:29 MST 2013

I've hit a few systems over time, not in many years, but leave it to HP
to put the buggiest bios possible into their hardware.  I've had to do
apic and acpi flags on a few systems to even boot properly, usually
either old smp intel boards or amd's.

Usually indicative of buggy bios or bridge implementations.  I have a hp
laptop that has the quirkiest power handling and buggy bios - great
since it was one of their most expensive "enterprise" units, and their
support told linux users to naff off for expecting a fix.  Sometimes
freezes on boot, sometimes won't shut down right, sometimes loses a hard
drive, just about anything related to acpi/bios and it's wonky.  Windoze
works just fine - go figure, but they work around crap hardware with
drivers.

Solution I find is not to buy HP anything that isn't a server, and then
I'm usually biased against them inherently anyways.

-mb