mail from root

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Apr 24 07:17:04 MST 2013

Robert,

Test your mail on the server via command line:

sudo sendmail -d yourname at yourdom.com

enter some text.
hit ". ."

Use your terminal up/down keys to see if the mail was delivered.  Check
your mail.  Did you get it?

Check your installation:

command rkhunter --configfile /etc/rkhunter.conf --report-warnings-only
--checkall

Update the checksums database :command rkhunter --propupdate

Update the threats database (the update is done weekly afterwards) :

command rkhunter --update

The command below is run daily. Its results are send by e-mail to the root
user if a problem appear. Run it once to check that everything is setted up
right :

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:

> Tried this on the rkhunter list and got only one reply of marginal
> usefulness. So........I'll try it here.
>
> Running a desktop pc and a Lenovo laptop, both running Debian 6 and
> rkhunter 1.3.6-4. On the desk top I get daily mail from root showing 2
> false positives. On the laptop I get no daily mail. Thinking I had
> missed something in the rkhunter.conf file I copied the one from the
> desktop. No joy. Any ideas/pointers appreciated.
>
> Note: I said I copied the rkhunter.conf from the pc, where I was getting
> mail from root, to the laptop. They are, therefore, identical.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> --
> Bob Holtzman
> If you think you're getting free lunch,