mail from root

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Tue Apr 23 21:22:37 MST 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 01:13:30PM -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 01:14:24PM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:
> > anacron) on the desktop but not on the laptop.  If so, then you would not
> > get the daily emails on the laptop.  Or perhaps it IS cronned on the laptop
> > but the machine is not ON at the scheduled time.  Just thoughts ...
>
> Damn! That never occurred to me. It makes sense since the desktop is on
> 24/7 and the laptop is on and off thru the day and off all night. Just
> as a check I'll leave it on tonight on AC and see what happens. If I get
> mail I'll dive into the cron files.
>
> Thanks for the tip. I'll keep you posted.

Sorry to be late with this.

Ran the laptop all night on AC and found the DE locked up in the
morning. No mouse, no keyboard, no nothing. Couldn't even use
ctrl+alt+f1. Had to do a hard reboot. Dropped to a shell and repeated
the experiment of running all night. Still no joy with rkhunter
notification email.

Next I added my email address to MAIL-ON-WARNING in /etc/rkhunter.conf.
It had been MAIL-ON-WARNING="". I thought that was wierd but it was the
same on my desktop where I got the emails every day. Result...still no
joy.

I'm out of Ideas. If anyone has a clue please let me know.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,