PHP lifespan

Paul Mooring paul at opscode.com
Fri Apr 5 12:57:45 MST 2013

I think most of the technologies you listed got sunk by changes in the tech eco-system as a whole.   FoxPro was killed by MS  but COBOL and dBase are still alive in there own niche's.  I think PHP will suffer the same fate, there's definitely better languages for writing full scale SaaS applications in (Ruby and Python seem like the big front-runners) but for a simple site you want to upload via FTP and forget I see no reason anyone would want to put much effort into "replacing" PHP.

On a related note, much of PHP's reputation isn't really deserved in my opinion.  There's a lot of awful code out there, but it's eco-system now has a pretty scale-worthy stack (laravel/symfony/ect, php-fpm and nginx) and like any language, it has some poor design decisions, but for the most part bad code is due to bad programmers rather than the language itself.

--
Paul Mooring
Systems Engineer and Customer Advocate

www.opscode.com