SSDs

Jason Spatafore jason_online at spatafore.net
Wed Apr 3 06:36:10 MST 2013

The "tipping points" I would look at is the fact that SSD's, for around
the same price and capacity as enterprise level drives (would be
debatable in higher capacity areas where enterprise drives rule):

1. Put out less heat. (Usually 1/2 a spinner)
2. Have no shock weakness (you can shake them while they're performing
data operations if you would like)
3. Use less power. (Usually 1/2 a spinner)
4. Produce no noise. (Yep, for that quiet web server in your living room!)

For an always on server, two of those have value. For placement of the
server, the noise definitely holds a value if you share the room.

I would still suggest you use spinners for data storage (spinning backup
and file stores, even place /home on) but use SSD for the read
performance (website, O/S...basically /, /tmp, and /var)

Basically, setups I always see are:

RAID 1 for O/S, web, and database using 2 x SSD's
RAID 1 on 2 x non-enterprise spinners for storage. (Backups of the
database, home directories, etc)