Home Office Server Security

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Tue Apr 2 10:02:14 MST 2013

I appreciate what you have said here Paul. This was the kind of insight
I was looking for. Very true.
I have lots of large files I will be transferring back and forth, but
the majority of my use will be with mysql and apache on this particular
machine. I would be well off keeping the apache and mysql stuff on a
non-encrypted partition and place my sensitive data on an encrypted
partition.

I was considering something like this already. I would like to have my
apache docroot and mysql databases stored somewhere secure, but on boot
mount a tmpfs to /var/lib/mysql and /var/www/html and copy the necessary
files from the encrypted location to the tmpfs mounts. Then run a script
to update or backup what ever is needed. The server will have plenty of
ram so using 4 GB for tmpfs like this would not be an issue. Regardless,
it would be a fun project anyway.

Thanks again Paul.

Nathan