How to capture and save an online mp3?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Oct 31 11:48:20 MST 2012

From: joe at actionline.com
> wget http://example.org/file.mp3
> 'wget' worked perfectly to capture the file.
>
> I've searched the 'net' but cannot find a Linux tool to get the
> audio transcribed to text. Is there a way to feed an audio file
> through google voice?

Yes, but it's not quite as simple as you'd probably like.  I searched
freecode.com for "voice recognition" and got a set of scripts called
asterix-speech-recog.  This contains a Perl script that can be called from the
command line which takes FLAC files at 8KHz and feeds them to an appropriate
Google endpoint.  If you do this, you get a response containing text and a
number that says how confident the google script is that the textual output is
correct.

So, you can probably grab that tarball:
https://github.com/downloads/zaf/asterisk-speech-recog/asterisk-speech-recog-0.5.tar.gz
...and look at the samples/speech-recog-cli.pl script.

You'll have to transform the mp3 file into a FLAC file at 8KHz.  sox
(command-line tool) can convert a sound file from (format) at (whatever) Hz to
uncompressed wav at 8000 Hz.  Probably, "sox file.mp3 -r 8000 temp.wav".  Then
flac can turn that 8000 Hz wav file into a FLAC file, like "flac temp.wav
temp.flac".  Then run speech-recog-cli.pl on temp.flac , then do something
with the output and clean up the temp files.  There may be shortcuts in this
that I don't know about.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows